Wednesday, November 9, 2011

David Jamerson

Before David starts walking, I should probably update my blog of our newest addition.

Welcome to the world Baby David! (6 weeks ago)

Thursday September 29th, 7:50 PM
Weight: 6lbs 10oz Height 18 1/2 inches

I had my scheduled 37 week appointment on September 29th.  The doctor was looking to do the c-scetion as early as 36 weeks.  I had been having really bad hip problems, starting around 20 weeks.  It had gotten pretty bad, that the doctor was afraid of stressing the baby out.  I was uncomfortable about him coming any earlier (unless I went into labor) than 38 weeks due to lung development.  At my 36 week appointment I wasn't showing any signs of starting the labor process.  I told him I wanted to try and hold out as long as possible.  He said to come back at 37 weeks, and if I hadn't progressed any, he wanted to do an amnio to check for lung development.  Hospital policy is that if it's a scheduled c-section before 39 weeks, you have to have an amnio to make sure lungs are developed.  I did not want an amnio whatsoever.  The night before my appointment I wasn't feeling well at all.  I told Kristopher that I thought I was having contractions.  I wasn't really sure what contractions felt like, since I never had any with Colin, but I thought maybe that's why I felt worse than normal.  I woke up the next morning still feeling bad.  My hips and low back were hurting so bad.  I was sure I hadn't made any progress and was going to have the amnio, which made me so nervous.  When the doctor checked me I was a 3 and was having some strong contractions during my checkup.  He said he wanted to schedule the c-section that evening.  I was a little hesitant since we didn't have any plans for Colin.  He said we could do it the next day but warned me that I might not make it, and that the latest he would let me go was about 3 days.  He said that the baby would probably be here before that though.  We left and told him we would call him and tell him what we wanted to do.  I was starting to panic since I didn't have my bags packed, arrangements for Colin, or all those fun little things you wait last minute for done.  We were able to get Colin taken care of and felt like the baby needed to come that night.  It's a good thing, because my contractions got closer and closer and by the time he was delivered the doctor said I wouldn't have made it any longer than I did.  The delivery couldn't have gone any better.  I was so glad to not feel my hip pain any more that I didn't even notice my contractions or felt any pain from the epidural.  I was so excited to meet my baby.  When they broke my water, I had a rather large amount of fluid.  Because of that, David had a lot of fluid in his lungs that they were unable to get out.  They took an x-ray of his chest to confirm that fluid was in his lungs and was going to watch it for a few days to make sure it didn't turn into an infection.  He was born at 7:50 pm and I didn't get to see him till about 10.  I got to hold him for just a few minutes, then he was off for more observation.  About midnight they decided he wasn't breathing well on his own and needed to be in the nicu.  They brought him into me on the way so I could see him.  He was in there until Sunday and we both got to go home on Monday.  It was hard and strange to be in the hospital and not have my baby with me.  I had to go to the nicu to feed him and be with him. I am very grateful it was only a couple of days.  I feel for new moms that have to go home and leave their baby in the nicu for sometimes months.  It would be so hard.  

We had thought David was going to be named Grant Jamerson, up until close to the very end.  Grant is a family name, and Jamerson is my dad's middle name.  I have always wanted to name a son after him.  David is the name of Kristopher's father, and we were afraid that it was too soon after his passing to name him David.  That it would be too hard.  A little bit before he was born we both got a feeling he would be named David, but still wasn't sure.  During the c-section the doctor asked us if we had a named picked out.  We said we were still undecided.  Then all of a sudden I said that it would be David.  The doctor knowing the situation said that he couldn't think of a more perfect name for him.  That we would never look back and regret naming him that.  I couldn't agree more.  He is a little David.  I can't even put into words the experience of seeing your baby fresh from Heaven, knowing who he was just with.  It's a feeling I will never forget, and I know our sweet Dad was with us the whole time.

David is such a joy!  He is very healthy and happy.  He has been such a great baby and I couldn't imagine our family without him.  Colin is so in love with his baby.  He is always concerned if David is crying and tries to give him his binky, blanket or a bottle.  Several times a day he will just walk up to him and kiss his forehead and rub his head softly.  What a sight it is to see the love Colin already has for David.  They are lucky to have each other.  

Here are some more pictures from the hospital stay

1 comment:

Rae said...

Awww Lib! Congrats to you guys! I swear it seems like we were JUST at IHOP (like the classy ladies we are) talking about you being pregnant.
So happy things worked out for the best. I know Kristopher's dad is soooo happy you chose his name.
Congrats again!